Thursday, October 7, 2010

I see you

So, I was recently enlightened about a new online fad called Chat Roulette.  For any of you not in the know, let me pass on the enlightenment so you never, ever, ever have to check this site out for yourself.  The premise is that you switch from one video chat user to another every 60 seconds or so.  Sounds harmless enough, except the majority of users are men who are enjoying themselves waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much if you know what I'm sayin'.

Why am I even bothering to mention this?  Good question ... very good question.  Have any of you ever chatted with guys/girls via webcam prior to the first date?  I'm sure a lot of you have.  Now that I think about it, I'm shocked I haven't thought of it before, but you see this all came up as I was recently asked by a guy I was messaging on Plenty of Fish to use a webcam.

It all started innocently enough with a few messages back and forth on the site as per usual.  He asked if I used MSN, which of course I do, so I added him.  I don't normally do this as it usually ends up being someone I have to block or remove from my list afterwards, but I was high on robaxacet this particular evening due to a running injury.  Thus, my normal sound judgement was nowhere to be seen.  (On a side note, how AWESOME is robaxacet?????  The back injury was brutal, but I was seeing double rainbows all the way across the sky for about three days.  And for all of you who are unaware of how intense and full-on that is, please do yourself a huge favor and watch this video.)

Anyways, I started chatting with this guy on MSN about normal, everyday things.  He asked how my day was and what my normal routine was, etc.  Basically, it was the same small talk you would have with anyone on a real first date.  Then, he asked if I had a webcam.  Even in my drug induced stupor I felt a slight twinge of "uh oh ... this is going to get weird".  I don't know why, but the thought of chatting with someone on a webcam before ever meeting them just gives me the heebie jeebies.  Am I being a prude here?  I told him it wasn't a good time as I was in my pjs and high as a kite on muscle relaxants.  He asked over and over relentlessly.  That kind of confirmed my hunch.  I don't think he would have persisted that way unless he was up to something, don't you?

How many of you have used webcams prior to dating?  Have you had any really positive/negative experiences?

Until  next time and happy fishing ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment