Monday, January 17, 2011

A new year ... a new sea.

Well, I guess I didn't make good on my "one post a week" promise, did I?  I was all "Ain't nothin' gonna keep me from writing!  I'm gonna follow my passion!" ... almost two months later, here I am!

It's funny how life has a way of creeping up on you when you least expect it.  To be quite honest (and a little blunt), shit hit the fan for me in December.  I won't go into too much detail, but by the time I went home to my parents' for Christmas, I had developed a pulsating twitch in my left eye, I wasn't sleeping and I had loss my appetite.  Now folks, if there is one thing that keeps me going in this world, one thing that gets me up in the morning, one thing that stokes the fires of my passion for life ... it is food.  I live for food.  When I make plans to go see a movie with friends on the weekend, I spend the entire week daydreaming about the buttery popcorn to come.  When October 1st shows up on my calendar, I start counting the days until I can pour that thick, delicious gravy all over my turkey dinner on Thanksgiving.  When the Christmas baking season begins ... well, I don't even think it's appropriate for me to describe what happens.  What I'm getting at here is that a loss of appetite in my world equates losing my reason for being.  That's how dismal December was for me.

Never fear for I am right as rain now and back to my normal, foodie self.  I am however, on a detox that eliminates all sugar, which means I can't eat chocolate.  But I at least have a smoldering, all consuming desire to plow my face into every piece of chocolate I see.  It's all good.

Anyways, with all the stress going on I simply did not have time nor did I feel the need to date during December.  Again, no dating doesn't make for a very interesting dating blog.  That folks, is all about to change ...

I've recently made the decision to move back to Newfoundland to be closer to my family.  This has some positives and negatives when it comes to dating.  On the positive side, when I'm in Newfoundland, I am IN my element.  That whole small town, funny, girl next door part of me just comes flowing out.  It's not that I hide that part of me here in Vancouver.  I just don't ever feel quite myself like I do when I'm at home, and that brings a whole new sense of confidence and ease.  Another positive is that I like manly men.  I like men that build and fix things.  Men that can chop wood, light a fire and swing me over their shoulder all at the same time.  And I'm sorry Vancouver, but you just ain't cuttin' it in that department compared to Newfoundland.

On the negative side, Newfoundland only has 500,000 people total.  I think it's safe to assume there are roughly 250,000 men, 175,000 of which are probably relatives of mine.  Long story short, there is a much, much, MUCH smaller sea of fishies from which to choose.  That brings me to my next drawback.  The chances of me electronically "running into" guys I know are exponentially higher.  During my stay in this city of 2,000,000 + people, I somehow managed to "run into" several guys I know online and got matched with three coworkers on Eharmony.  Now that I mention it, I may be lucky to find anyone at all that I don't already know.

In any case, there is no turning back now!  As of yesterday, I have officially switched my POF city to St. John's ... yes by'!  I won't actually be there for another few weeks, but I thought I would give myself a head start :)  What wonderful dating adventures await me in my homeland?  Stay tuned to find out!

Until next time and happy fishing ;)

1 comment:

  1. There are a few fish in NL that aren't newfies, maybe you should give them a try :)

    ReplyDelete